Saturday, March 12, 2016

OUGD402 Studio Brief 02 - Self Branding - Ideas

Today I decided to crack on with the production of my self-branding. After printing the business cards on two different types of stock I came across a problem when putting the folds in. I really struggled to line them up and when I cut them down I had one side longer then the other which wasn't what I had anticipated.

First I tested to see what the business card would look like on G.F.Smith MarlMarque Marble White 300gsm:


I really like the effect of this paper as it is subtle and gives a nice contrast against the black of the type. However I don't know if this marble effect is a bit to cliche and predictable, I want to go for something that is a little different. I also think this paper would work better as a flat design rather than a folded up piece like this.

Next I tried another G.F.Smith stock, Peregrina Majestic Marble White 290gsm:



This was my favourite stock as it appears to be just a plain white stock, but under the light it has a iridescence shine. It is a stock which is playfully and quietly flashy with an added sparkle, which I feel represents me well. It also has a starker contrast as this is more white compared to the white of the previous stock.

Feedback:
People seemed to prefer stock two's shimmery design as it is very subtle and they felt that subtly reflected within me as a designer. They also thought that I had a strong, eye-catching logo and the marble effect of the first one draws they eye away from that too much.

Final design choice:
I decided to go with stock two as this was my personal favourite as well as receiving good feedback for it. I added the ribbon and a final touch to tie it all together.



Next I printed out my box net, A2 on matt as suggested by the technician, apparently satin will crack more when putting the folds in, so it is more likely to ruin the design. 


I had to cut my net out using a scalpel and put the folds in. I would have got a better produced design if it had already been cut out and the fold put in with a machine. I had to get someone to help me put the folds in but it still worked reasonably well. The problem I had was cutting the hole out of the handle as it was really fiddly and I didn't do the best job. Eventually I glued it all together and it seemed to work okay but I will need to work on this a lot more to improve it for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment