Sunday, March 13, 2016

OUGD402 Good Presentation Skills

To help prepare me for my presentation on Monday I decided to look at some TED talks to see how they handled themselves in front of an audience and what techniques they used.

Stefan Sagmeister: Happiness by design
Sagmeister is a graphic designer and within this presentation he looks at moments in his life which made him happy and how that is related to design. The first thing that I noticed about his presentation style is how relaxed he is. He has a very conversationalist tone and had his arms folded or behind his back, addressing the audience in a very laid back style. He included lots of anecdotes and humour about his journey which seemed to help the audience relax into it. It was as if you know him, it was a very down to earth presentation which allowed the audience to associate and sympathise with him. I also noticed that it was very well rehearsed, he didn't seem to be looking at notes very much and he worked really well with his powerpoint.

These are techniques that I would like to try and use within my presentation because I think it will make it easier for me to present. It is also a big reminder that I need to go over my presentation so that I am fully prepared.

David Kelley: How to build your creative confidence
Kelley within this talk goes over that we shouldn't split people up into creatives and practical people - everyone has the ability to be creative. In the beginning he introduces and outlines his presentation which I think is important, it was only briefly and everyone knows what the talk is on, but I think its a nice way to get started. He again uses anecdotes and personal stories to connect himself with the audience. Kelley takes his time when speaking and projects his voice well. He talks about the fear of judgement and how we should turn that fear into familiarity. This is something that I should keep in mind when presenting, I really want to keep facing it so that eventually I won't be as afraid anymore.

Things that I will take into account when I am presenting:

  • Relaxed body posture
  • Take my time
  • Personal / Personality
  • Humour
  • Well rehearsed - know my presentation
  • Projection of voice
  • My own opinions
Looking at these talks has given me a bit more confidence to do my own, I will be better prepared, so less nervous. Going through my presentation with family and friends will also give me confidence to present in front of people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment