Thursday, February 2, 2017

OUGD502 Presentation Practice (Film Synopsis)

Presentation Practice (Film Synopsis):

To help build confidence with presenting we planned to do a quick 2 minute presentation on a film synopsis of my choice. I chose to do the film dodgeball as I think I would be more confident with talking about something that would make people laugh as it would put me more at ease. Generally I get really nervous for presentations and it something that I want to work and improve on. 

Originally I wanted to use gifs, but to make sure the presentation worked it needed to be in pdf format, and you cannot imbed gifs into pdf. Therefore I decided to use memes / quotes to help portray the comedic value of the film and to distract attention away from me. I planned out what I wanted to say, which took some time to properly condense the information so that it wouldn't run over time. I wrote out notes to help give me prompts and to make sure that I knew what I wanted to say.

I decided to go in the first group because I always find the waiting the worst part as I seem to get more and more nervous and work myself up unnecessarily. I did feel nervous before I presented but I tried to remind myself of the casual nature of the presentation as well as the small group size. It helped me to remind myself that I am just telling my friends about a film, to make me feel more comfortable. 

During the presentation I felt nervous and my voice seemed to me to be a bit shaky, however I managed to get through my presentation at a good pace. The projector didn't show my images too well which did throw me off a little but I managed to carry on.

The feedback that I received was really positive, the use of images with the quotes provided the comedic value which helped me to set the tone of the film and keep interested focused. However it was pointed out that one of my images did not work due to 3 images being used with quotes which was just to small and didn't provide a high enough impact. The pace of my presentation had a good flow that worked well with the images. Overall it was positive feedback and has given me more confidence to try and tackle my nerves.

The other presentation that I watched were really strong, it was noted that some of the people with notes didn't sound like they were scripted, they had there own personal touch to it, which is really important to keep interest. Some people were really in depth with the details and they did it in a really engaging way that worked cohesively with their images to provide a high impact. One of the presentations used about a sentence of text to go alongside their images, this worked really well as it was clear and concise and you were able to follow the story easily. A presentation that worked particularly well used a light hearted tone to portray quite a serious film, this provided a nice contrast and kept the viewers engaged. The fast pace also worked really well at getting the point of the film across. Simon also mentioned to try and avoid showing how many slides are left because people are then just waiting for it to end. Having a structured beginning, middle and end also makes for a really successful presentation that flows properly. If you don't have a clear ending people won't know its finished and it's awkward to say by the way i've finished now.

Watching other peoples presentations was really useful as I was able to see what works well and take that on board for the next time I have to present. I still want to work on this further so that I feel more confident to stand up and speak without a shaky voice. I am going to start analysing how professionals present themselves confidently, to see what techniques they use.

My Presentation:



Hey, so I'm going to give you a brief summary of what happens in the movie Dodgeball.



  Peter La Fluer is the owner of Average Joe's, a small gym with only a few members.



His rival White Goodman owner of Globo gym is tying to take over Average Joe's, unless Peter can raise $50,000 in 30 days.



 Average Joe's members try to raise money for the gym, when it is suggested to enter a dodgeball tournament to win the exact amount needed to save the gym.



They watch a video to learn about dodgeball and manage to qualify due to the opposition failing a drug test.





White finds out about Peters plan and forms his own team.



Luckily Average Joe's have the help of dodgeball legend Patches O'Houlihan.



With lot's of interesting and funny matches they manage to advance to the final round against Globo gym.





But the team face multiple problems such as Patches dying, Justin and Steve leaving, as well as Peter taking a bribe.



Average Joe's are forced to forfeit, but a loophole and the help of Chuck Norris allow the team to play.



The game is intense leading to a sudden death match between Peter and White. 



Peter blindfolds himself and still manages to win!



Peter had also used the bribe to bet on Average Joe's to win which leads to him winning 5 million.



He buys control of Globo gym and fires White, who is left eating junk food and becoming obese.

Overall it is a classic funny film that you have got to see, thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment