Wednesday, February 8, 2017

OUGD502 Build Studio Talk

Build Studio Talk:



Michael from the studio Build came in to do a talk about his career and how he has built his design studio. Music has been a strong influence for his design passion, album artwork from bands like Iron Maiden, Saxon, Motorhead and Black Sabbath were something he was interested in from an early age. He hasn't got any family with an art background, so this was something completely new for him. He began to develop a typographic focus through letraset catalogues. 

What inspired me the most from Michael was that he considers himself an interesting graphic designer but not actually the best. He talks about how it is his passion for design that has driven him forward and bought him his successes. He encouraged us to be excited, emphasising that passion is more important than skill. This was something that I really admired because I don't consider myself the most skilled but I would say that it has been my passion which has progressed me through education in art and design. 

Michael also talked about having influences, interests and hobbies as that will help your work to develop into something personal and unique. This is something I definitely need to work on more, I feel like I need to be more aware of the design world but also I need to find a hobby that gives me a break and takes my mind elsewhere. Being experimental is something that I don't do very often I usually run with the one idea i've got, but Michael made it clear that it is something that you must do to get the ideas flowing and it will become more interesting and enjoyable. 

If you work hard it is very rewarding, working with people is something that he enjoys, as he likes utilising different abilities to get the best out of a project. This is something I definitely agree with as I also like working with other people because where I lack in certain areas they can fill in the gaps, it's really fulfilling working together and helping others produce something really great.

Another thing that I am now aware of is how important business is within graphic design and it's definitely something that needs to be considered. Communication and discussion are important as well as time management and managing client expectation. The last piece of advice he gave was that if you feel restricted, are you asking the right questions? This talk for me really opened my eyes and in a way reignited my passion for design. 



Builds work is outstanding, I love the strong use of colour that really pops and makes it stand out, as well as the clever use of typography. The work is fresh and vibrant, it is something that I really connect with at how effective it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment