Sunday, February 21, 2016

OUGD402 Studio Brief 02 - Self Branding - Reflection

Reflection:
I have found this self-branding task quite challenging to get my head around, I find it particularly difficult to define myself. I am going to reflect on what my strengths and weaknesses are as a designer and as a person so that I can create a project that is completely personal to me.

Since I was 16 I knew that I wanted to go into graphic design, it was my favourite subject at school and because it was something I loved, I strived to be the best in my class. I have always had a passion for design but I have never really actively put that passion into my day to day life until I started my university degree. I seem to be an unconfident person and with the high standard of people on my course it has been challenging but it is something I am trying to work on.

I have always had an interest within the area of packaging design this is something I identified very early on, yet I do not want to limit myself away from other things. While doing this course I have had a strong interest in publication design which I would never have thought of before.

I feel that my strengths within design lay within the idea process and discussion of creative thinking although I would say that one of my weaknesses is not exploring all possibilities thoroughly enough. I particularly like working more hands on than digitally, painting, prints, sketching as I feel they have so much more passion and a personal feel to them. I think within my self branding I should consider this, to try and create a more interesting approach.

Within graphic design I love minimalist design and work that evokes certain emotions, I feel it is a really powerful technique I hope to utilise effectively one day. I also have a big appreciation for compositions that work seamlessly within the design.

Using what I have reflected upon I want to add a packaging element within a minimalist design that reflects my personality.

While talking through with Penny about things that will make me stand out I talked about the fact that people get me name wrong a lot of the time. Instead of calling my Georgina I am often called Georgia which is really frustrating it's just one of those things that really bugs me, I don't mind other variations of my name... G, Georgie, Gina, George, just not Georgia. Penny suggested that I play around with this idea and put emphasis on who I am. This could be a really interesting concept that I am going to explore further.

No comments:

Post a Comment