Sunday, May 13, 2018

OUGD602 PPP Presentation

PPP Presentation:
I am really nervous to do my PPP presentation as I struggle with presenting/public speaking. Im hoping that I will go better than I think, to make the process as easy as possible for me I have practiced my presentation. This way I will feel more prepared and confident at speaking. Within my presentation I have included gifs to draw the attention away from me and provide a bit of humour.


Hello!


Start of 3rd year:
- Positive
- Ready to work hard
- Went to Barcelona 


Went to the Design Museum in Barcelona..
- The graphic work on display was really inspiring
- Reminder of my love of design - this is what I want to do


Then the stress hit…
Cop
Sorting out timetables / deadlines for extended
But, I started to go to more exhibitions and talk…


Frankie came at the start of the year...
Inspiring how she managed to balance work/life/travel – important for me to find that balance
Working out what is right for you is important – studio life didn’t suit her 
Try different  things
I don’t want to be stuck in a job I won’t enjoy


Design Manchester...
- Day long conference
- Different creatives
Different presentation styles
Interesting to see how different creatives worked in a professional environment
Good to hear about the current things going on within design - projects/work


Tash Wilcocks
Interactive & engaging talk – strong presentation style
People connected more with what she was saying
Encouraged to do things that scare you – this is what I am trying to do 


Creative Convos found the whole week 
Inspiring/motivational
Robot Food is a studio I really admire – strong portfolio of work 


Inspired me to do my own project based around this concept of finding a stale category and disrupting it…
Quick brief encourage me to work faster - particular and take time over things.
Send to Robot Food for feedback good contact – can develop from feedback.


Spoke to eve about portfolios  gave advice on what to include 
Buy decent mockups – elevates the presentation of your work
More professional


Worried about proficiency on the design programs as im still learning a lot.


More important to have creative ideas/concepts
- You would learn a lot - you can ask for help 
- Felt more at ease


Slowly starting to feel more confident / determined


Want to go into packaging design
- Been trying to focus my briefs towards that


Based of this interest looking at studios which do packaging and branding
-Which have strong portfolios
-Good studio environment
-Struggled with confidence contacting people
-How I plan on contacting them…


By packaging myself..
- Careful consideration
- Reflects interest
- Help me stand out 


Thought about my self-branding from first year 
- Didn’t reflect me professionally
- Still learning who I was as a designer
- Still learning a lot about design


However, I decided to keep my logo 
Combination of both initials – g, s
Bold, simple, strong - reflected me well enough


Website:
Paid for domain
Feel more professional
Nice to see all the work I’ve done
Confidence boost


Finally set up my Linkedin
- More conversations happening than I thought
- Good to starting grow a network


Instagram..
- Re-done
- More professional


I've done a few competition briefs this year one of them being Starpack...
- Packaging competition
- More material focus 
- Enjoyed doing it
- Felt quite rushed with other deadlines - D&AD, EOYS
- Got shortlisted
- Confidence boost
- More motivated 


EOYS Branding - shortlisted
Working Collaboratively on live brief
Love collaboration
Worked well with this team 


Visited Peter & Paul studio in Sheffield
- Good to see a professional studio
- Had a meeting 
- Feedback from Daniel through project


Communicated to Daniel through email
- Difficult 
- Unclear feedback
- Miscommunication
- Face to face meetings more valuable when working with clients


Pitching the concept
- Chancellors, marketing department and tutors
- Nervous
- Supported by group
- Power-point lagging
- Built confidence
- Went better than I thought 


Glug event..
- Inspirational women in design
- Real stories 
- Find a job that's right for you
- Strong presentations which were really engaging
Tried networking… 


A guy had a card game needed better branding and packaging
- Just done D&AD brief card game
- Offered to do it
- Said he couldn’t really afford to pay much
- Didn’t seem trustworthy – just wanted me to send him my idea
- Need to watch that don’t get taken advantage of


My plan now..
- Internship for summer


Lastly,

- Hand in and get all my work done!

Outcome:
The presentation went a lot better than I thought, even though I wasn't first to present I managed to keep my nerved under control. I think that after seeing other people present and seeing other people get nervous it made me feel a lot more at ease. I received positive feedback and I know that the more practice at presenting I get the easy it will become. This is something I really want to improve as I will need to be able to pitch and present ideas to clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment