Sunday, May 7, 2017

OUGD502 Traditional Print for 505

Traditional Print for 505:
As part of Studio Brief 01 for 505 we were to produce a traditional print on a past event in Leeds. I decided to do Leeds Indie Food Festival, it was really interesting discovering all that Leeds has to offer and it has made me more aware of all the different events. Being as I needed to do a traditional print, I decided to try and do screen print. In the past this was something that I struggled with and it was an area I identified definitely needed improving. After seeing New Analogs gig posters it inspired me to have another go, as I can see how effective it can be.

I tried a different method of printing called split fountain where different coloured inks are placed on the screen and blended with the squeegee. I found this process a lot harder than I expected as I struggled to blend the inks, looking back this could have been due to not using enough ink. I struggled to line my design up on to paper leading to a lot of wonky prints. The screen also started to get blocked quickly leaving a patch where the ink wouldn't transfer to the paper properly. 

I am glad to have tried out screen print again but is definitely something I need further practice on as I find the whole process of printing to be difficult, as I struggle to get a clean print. Hopefully if I persevere with it next year I will be able to master screen print at last.


No comments:

Post a Comment