Thursday, May 4, 2017

OUGD502 Evaluation of Context of Practice 2

Evaluation of Context of Practice 2:

I have really enjoyed researching into my chosen theme as I have found it interesting and engaging. However I struggled to find a range of appropriate research, this is something I should have discussed earlier with my tutor. Having done the essay before Christmas, it was hard to come back to and work on. This is something I need to be aware of as I need to consistently make sure it is in the back of mind and not forgotten about. More structure and planning would also help me to organise the information appropriately.

In relation to the essay for the practical piece I explored 'How are people persuaded to buy something considered a luxury?' I have learnt the different techniques in design which help to produce the illusion of a luxury item. Researching into typography, colour, and minimalism are all techniques used to persuade the consumer that this is a better product than its competitors. My practical piece aimed to see if these design techniques would help to make the product look better and more high-end as well as seeing if people would be more persuaded to buy it.

I have found this task quite challenging as I was trying to play around with the idea of minimalism but from some of the feedback, it was said that there wasn't enough to the design. This suggest that I didn't appropriately achieve the right effect, however it was interesting to work further and learn about this style.

The feedback from the questionnaire was mainly positive with the majority saying that it does look like a luxury food item, however there were points of feedback were it was said the design does not work and needed further improvement. This shows that although some would be more inclined to buy based on the design, it does not have that effect for everyone. This could be due to my design or going against what I have looked into in my essay, people are not that bothered by luxury. 

I think because my results are not completely conclusive it has left me feeling unsure about the project and whether it was successful or not. However I have learnt about the considerations that are needed when designing a luxury product and what techniques are used.

I think next time I will try and think more in depth about what I am going to produce for my practical piece as this is what I struggled the most with, I also want to try and give myself more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment