Thursday, October 15, 2015

OUGD402 Looking for Inspiration

Today with Penny Lee we started at looking at points of inspiration.

What can we learn from?
Blogs
Galleries
Books
Magazines
Gigs
Zines
Concerts
The Street
Socials
Performance 
The Past
The Future
Friends
Family

We can learn from everything and all the different areas of design. 'You are what you read' is a really important saying. Being aware of everything around you and being open minded, or my work will be really limited.

Things to check out:
Ted Talks
Do Lectures
The Chicken Shed Chronicles
Instagram
Radio 4
Another
Dazed & Confused
Pinterest
Medium

We got together in groups and came up with a list of things that inspire us:




After listening to other groups and people within my own I now have a wider range of sources I can look into.

1. LFW - HUSSEIN CHALAYAN'S SPRING/SUMMER 2016

Someone mentioned about how they had seen a clip from London Fashion Week where there are dresses that melt away to reveal another dress when water is poured onto them. I started to look into this further and I found that it was designer Hussein Chalayan's for his spring/summer 2016 collection. The presentation of the clothes took place in Salle Melpomène at Paris' Palais des Beaux-Arts on the 2nd of October 2015.


Elle uk's Instagram account using screen catcher.



Photography by Jason Lloyd-Evans found on http://www.dezeen.com/2015/10/02/clothes-disintegrate-on-catwalk-hussein-chalayans-spring-summer-2016-show-paris-fashion-week/ 

Photograph by Dan Lecca found on http://www.dezeen.com/2015/10/02/clothes-disintegrate-on-catwalk-hussein-chalayans-spring-summer-2016-show-paris-fashion-week/
The feature of the shower which dissolved the two water soluble outfits to reveal the delicate dresses underneath really helped to add the wow factor. I think it is really interesting how much the actual performance and presentation plays a role on how we think about something and whether we are going to remember it. I think many people who went and saw this will always remember it, the fact that it has been shared numerous times and now that I have seen it, really shows how much power presenting something in a new and unique way has. 

Watch the video here: Hussein Chalayan's Spring/Summer 2016 Runway Moment

2. THE DIELINE

The Dieline is a catalogue defining and promoting the world's best packaging design and provides a place where the package design community can review, critique and stay informed of the latest trends and projects being created in the field. I personally love packaging design, it is and area of design I am really interested in and it is my go to site when looking for inspiration. I love the way in which something is packaged actually compels the consumer to buy the product. 


3. DESIGN MILK

An online blog/magazine dedicated to modern design, showing you what’s new in art, architecture, interior design, furniture and decor, fashion and technology. I would say its main focus is on architecture/interior design, it usually favours minimalist styles. I mainly follow their Instagram account and use it as visual inspiration to inform any current projects.



4. PINTEREST

A social network that allows people to visually share and discover new interests. I use pinterest for a range of things from fashion to recipes, it is a really useful tool to find attractive images. Whenever I am doing a new project I type in a word that relates to it, and I then have a visual mood board to stimulate ideas.


5. EARTH PICS, INSTAGRAM

Earth pics is an Instagram account that I follow which has stunning pictures of places, people, animals and nature. I really like this account because it reminds me just how beautiful the world is and makes me want to go out, travel and explore.


6. INSPIRATION GRID

Inspiration grid is something I have recently discovered, it is an online magazine celebrating creative talent from around the world. A daily fix of design, art, illustration, typography, photography, architecture, fashion and more. I love the way in which it is set out, the sections are very clear if you wanted to look at examples of specific types of design.


7. TED TALKS

TED talks are short, powerful talks on a range of topics. I find these really inspiring and thought provoking, they are good at giving you a deeper understanding and insight that allows you to come to your own opinions.


8. VICE

VICE is a print magazine and website focused on arts, culture, and news topics. I like looking at their broad range of articles and finding out about new things.


9. FILMS/TV 

I love films and tv series such as Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Fight Club, The Prestige, Pulp fiction etc. Immersing yourself in a different world, giving me a break from reality.




10. BOOKS

Although I don't read as often as I used to, this is similar to films and tv I find it a form of escape and relaxation while being personally immersed in another world.

No comments:

Post a Comment