Saturday, October 10, 2015

OUGD402 Light Night


On Friday the 9th of October I attended Light Night in Leeds city centre. Light night is an annual multi-arts and light festival with light projections, exhibitions, installations, film, dance, music, theatre and street performances.​​​ I only passed through briefly and was disappointed that I didn't actually see that much.

I did however go into Leeds cathedral where I saw 'The Sun at Night' installation which explored our relationship to the sun. Utilising images from NASA's Solar Dynamic Observatory, a year in the life of the sun is compressed into a 30 minute projection.








These were my own photos that I took inside the cathedral. I did not quite understand the installation and nothing much happened, I was expecting more. After this we proceeded to the Leeds College of art building on Vernon street where the installation 'Drawing with Light' took place. Artists Rebecca Smith and Peter Barber from Urban Projections, collaborated with the college students to create and innovative piece of live art projection and pre-programmed projections onto the facade of Leeds College of Art that will intricately encase the contours of the building. I watched it for about 5-10 minutes and whether it had not properly started I am unsure but there wasn't very many visuals to see.

These are a few of my photos of it:






 However I think maybe if I had stayed longer we would have been able to see more of the installation, as from seeing a photo it looked really it looked really striking and compelling.

http://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/news-events/news/2015/10/02/leeds-college-of-art-present-%E2%80%98drawing-with-light%E2%80%99-at-light-night-2015/
Overall I do not think I saw the best of Light Night maybe if I had explored round or stayed longer I would have experienced more of the event but in my personal opinion there was not much to see and I was quite disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment